Diagnostic value of in situ polymerase chain reaction in leprosy

Dayal, R. ; Singh, S. P. ; Mathur, P. P. ; Katoch, V. M. ; Katoch, K. ; Natrajan, M. (2005) Diagnostic value of in situ polymerase chain reaction in leprosy Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 72 (12). pp. 1043-1046. ISSN 0019-5456

Full text not available from this repository.

Official URL: http://www.springerlink.com/content/e681p4358v8r13...

Related URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF02724408


Objective: This prospective study was carried out to assess the diagnostic value ofin situ Polymerase Chain Reaction in leprosy, particularly in enhancing the histopathological diagnosis. Method: Clinical examination of 20 patients (< 16 yr) was done and skin smear for AFB was prepared. Biopsy of lesion site was taken for histopathological examination andin situ PCR testing. Results: The histopathological examination confirmed the clinical diagnosis in 45% cases only; non-specific histopathology was reported in the remaining 55% cases.In situ PCR showed a positivity of 57.1% in early/ localized form of leprosy (IIBT) and 61.5% in (BB/BL) group. When compared to histopathology examination, a significant enhancement of 15% in diagnosis was seen. Within situ PCR, the diagnosis could be confirmed in 4/11 (36.3%) cases with non-specific histopathological features, (which is common in early disease) in addition to confirmation of 8/9 (88.8%) histopathologically-confirmed tissue sections. Histopathology andin situ PCR, combined together, confirmed the diagnosis in 13/20 cases (65% of total cases). Conclusion: Thus,in situ PCR is an important diagnostic tool especially in early and doubtful cases of leprosy.

Item Type:Article
Source:Copyright of this article belongs to K C Chaudhuri Foundation.
Keywords:Leprosy; Histopathology; In Situ Polymerase Chain Reaction
ID Code:16689
Deposited On:15 Nov 2010 13:27
Last Modified:04 Jun 2011 09:52

Repository Staff Only: item control page